There is nothing more I enjoy than baking with Lil G. He really enjoys it and miraculously eats up all of what we have made without argument. Win Win. On that note. I thought I would share with you the really cute Snowman Cookies we made at Christmas time. Perfect for a spot of baking with your little ones. I initially got the Snowman idea from the lovely Katie over at MummyDaddyMe.
These really are yummy, scrummy cookies. Crisp on the outside, chewy and soft on the inside, and really simple to make. What makes them fun for little ones is the decorating. Turning them into Snowmen. We actually made these as a gift for Lil G’s Kindergarten Teachers. I hope to adapt this recipe for Lil G’s birthday as the children were all really jealous when we took them in for the teachers and not them!
For quickness you could cheat and buy a box of cookies and then have fun decorating them! (Personally I find Tesco has the best selection of decorating kits). Or like we did, you could make them by following these quick and easy steps.
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate.
- Split the pliable dough into two halves, rolling each out into sausage shapes, approximately 5cm/2in in diameter. Wrap them in cling film and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, simply cut the log into slices 2cm/¾in thick and lay on a baking tray, widely spaced apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Leave to cool before decorating. (Don’t forget to look very proud of your creations)
The fun part:
- Roll out your icing to the desired thickness to make the snowman base (the thinner the better as the icing is very sweet)
- Use a shape cutter to cut out circles to match the size of your cookies
- Take a small amount of marmalade on the back of a teaspoon and smooth it around the middle of the biscuit (Try not to use your tongue as Lil G did, see below).
- Place the rolled out icing onto each biscuit. The sticky marmalade will act as a glue.
- Now to give your snowman a head.
- At one end of the icing, place a small dollop of marmalade and stick the marshmallow down (see below for examples).
- Use the coloured icing tubes to decorate your snowman. He will need eyes, a nose, a mouth, buttons and don’t forget his arms!
Hey presto Snowman Cookies and one very proud toddler. I mentioned above that I was hoping to make these again for Lil G’s birthday. Any ideas on how I could transform them?
I have popped this post together for a little ‘guest post’ over on Larabee’s Blog where she has a really fun and creative winter themed month of ideas. Some really fantastic ways of keeping your littles entertained. Do pop over.